Edit Content

Safety in Your Home

We want all our tenants to know that we’re more than just a landlord. We’re here to help.

Research shows that falling into rent arrears is often unavoidable, and due to factors such as fluctuating income, or large unexpected costs. It’s our priority to help you remain in your home and thrive. That includes helping you with financial advice and support.

We’re your helping hand for making sure you’re getting all the right financial benefits, navigating Universal Credit, and managing your money.

​If you’re in need of any assistance, please contact us as soon as possible.

Money Management

There are lots of ways you can help yourself, and other places that can provide free debt advice and assistance. From budgeting tools that we’ve created, to expert advice from other sources.

What else is out there?

Citizens Advice (previously Citizens Advice Bureau) are an independent organisation specialising in confidential advice on subjects like debt advice or managing your bills. They have their own online budgeting tool

Step Change have more than 25 years’ experience providing practical debt solutions

National Energy Action is the national charity working to end fuel poverty in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. They can provide advice and up to date information about rising energy prices

Money saving expert has lots of advice and tools, as well as news and information on a range of subjects that could help your decision making

Debt Free London provides free, independent and expert support on all kinds of money worries, including debt as a result of health difficulties

Money Helper is a government approved helpline for tackling your debt.

Energy & Utilities

Energy costs have risen significantly recently and you may have seen your bills go up. Many local councils have put together support packages to help. Make sure to contact yours to apply for any money that’s available to you. Find out how to contact your local council on GOV.UK. Also, your energy supplier may be offering advice or money. Make sure to contact them too.

Debt Advice

Being in debt can be very stressful, and feeling like we’re not in control can be overwhelming, and extremely damaging to our mental health. Here as some quick tips:

Do a budget to work out how much you’re able to pay

Make a list of who you owe money to

Contact the most important creditors to set a payment plan. Rent is the most important thing to pay and we’re happy to work out a payment plan that you can afford. It’s our priority to keep you in your home

If you work from home because the organisation you work for doesn’t have offices for you to work in, you can claim tax relief. It’s a simple process through the GOV.UK website. You can claim even if you only work one day from home.

Important: if you feel in immediate danger, phone the police on 999 – and leave this page

What is Domestic Abuse?

Domestic abuse is an incident or pattern of incidents of abusing and controlling behaviour. It’s often caused by a partner or ex-partner, but can also be a family member or carer. It’s very common. Domestic abuse can include controlling and coercive behaviour, psychological and emotional, financial abuse, violent or threatening behaviour, sexual abuse and rape, threats, harassment and stalking and online or digital abuse. You’re being abused if you feel you have to alter your behaviour because you’re frightened of how someone will react or treat you.

Domestic abuse can affect anyone – men, women and those who identify as non-binary and it can occur in any relationship – heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, young or old.

How Can We Help You?

You have the right to feel safe in your home. As your landlord, we’ll help and support you and you can call us on TBC. We will connect you with our trained officers who are experienced in handling these kinds of situations

Seeking support if you are being abused can be hard, and you may feel like there is nowhere to turn. But, you are not alone and it is not your fault. Free and confidential help and support is available from Myshon and you will be taken seriously. We will:

Provide a sensitive and confidential response to anyone approaching us for assistance in cases of domestic abuse

Ensure that anyone experiencing domestic abuse can ask to meet our staff in confidence at our offices or at an agreed choice of safe venue. We will also agree the safest method of contact to use

Give people experiencing domestic abuse the opportunity to ask for a staff member of the same gender to speak to, and if requested, and where possible, of the same ethnic origin

Work with any individual experiencing domestic abuse irrespective of age, gender, sexuality, disability, ethnicity, religion or social background

Provide an independent translation service where necessary.

If you have concerns that another Hyde resident is suffering domestic abuse, you can also let us know on TBC.  If you feel something is happening right now, please call the police on 999.

Other Help and Support Services

If you ever need to call 999 for urgent police help but can’t speak, the Silent Solution guide gives advice on what to do to get help.

If you have worries about your own mental or physical health the best person to contact is your GP. They will listen to your concerns and give advice about the best course of action. If you are not registered with a GP where you live, you can search for one using the NHS Find GP services.

If your health issues are preventing you from managing your tenancy properly it is important that you let us know. For example if:

You’re not physically able to look after your garden or carry out basic repairs

You’re experiencing poor mental health which makes it difficult to deal with rent arrears and other debts

Remember if you are struggling to look after yourself or your home, you can request a social care needs assessment from your local authority. If you are unsure which local authority you live in, you can look it up on the GOV.UK website.

Mental Health Support Services

If you need urgent mental health help, call 111, or ask for an urgent GP appointment. If you or someone else’s life is at risk, call 999

You can refer yourself to mental health service in your area through the NHS, and receive talking therapies such as counselling, or help with common mental health problems like anxiety and depression

You can call Samaritans on 116 123 to talk to someone about anything, 24 hours a day, 365 days a week

Information and support for 13-25-year olds is available with The Mix. They can provide support via phone, email, and webchat

Consortium offer a range of different specialist support networks for LGBTIQ+ communities

Mind provides confidential mental health information services

Support for carers offer help to those working in care, via support networks, forums and online meetups

Scope are a disability charity providing practical information and emotional support

Age UK offer friendship servicers to combat loneliness

Safeguarding refers to actions and processes that protect the health, wellbeing and human rights of individuals, which allow people – especially children, young people and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse, harm and neglect.

If you feel someone is in immediate danger, you should always dial 999.

Myshon Safeguarding Children and Adults Policy Statement (MYSHON Policy doc)

There are many different techniques fraudsters will use to target your money – you could be approached in person, online, by post or over the phone. 

Scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and difficult to spot. Things to look out for include:

Offers that come out of the blue

Prizes that ask you to send money up front to claim your winnings

Time-limited offers that ask you to act quickly

Companies with vague contact details, such as a PO Box or mobile number

Companies that call you repeatedly and stay on the phone for a long time

You can protect yourself by being careful about who you give your personal details to, and never send money to someone you don’t know or trust.

Actions You Can Take

If anyone comes to your door, make sure you check their ID. Don’t let anyone in if you don’t want to. Trust your instincts

Install anti-virus and firewall software to your computer and make sure you keep it up to date

Don’t do any financial transactions – eg online banking or shopping – over public WiFi

Talk to your or their bank immediately if there is any suspicious activity or transactions from your account or credit cards

Check your privacy settings on social media regularly to make sure they’re up to date

Don’t share personal information, or anything that could help a criminal, such as when you’re on holiday and your home will be empty

Be wary of cold callers. Hang up if you think they could be a scammer

 Look into installing a call blocker to help combat telephone scams

Ask for the name of the person who is calling you and who they represent. Check the information by calling the company’s head office

Make sure that you destroy or shred any receipts or post with your credit card or personal details on

Put a ‘no junk mail’ sign on your door

Report the scam to Citizens Advice who will give you advice on what to do next and report the scam to Trading Standards

Report the scam to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

Require additional support?

Get in touch with MYSHON and speak directly to a member of our team if you require further assistance.